Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chemo ... once again


Wednesday, July 25th
Those of you who know Kerby, know that this picture looks nothing like him at all. This is the effect of cancer and chemo! While his eyes are still expressive, they are so in a very sad looking way! It breaks my heart!

I am numb. I am going through the motions of doing the best I can for my Kerby. I get the information, the facts, the confirmed diagnosis of Osteosarcoma. I speak with the oncologist and it appears the only option is to try the "3rd & last type of chemo" that we didn't use already. The other 2 chemos didn't work, since the tumor grew back very fast!

Kerby had his 3rd surgery in 3 months on July 11th (2 weeks ago). The surgeon was only able to remove 95% of the tumor in his mouth. Yes .... there's still 5% of a cancerous tumor in my baby's mouth. What to do? I don't think there are many options at this point. Oral tumors grow back VERY FREAKIN' FAST. So, we started chemo again today. Cisplatin is the name of it. I didn't choose it before b/c it's not healthy for the kidneys, it can cause vomiting and who else knows what? I asked the oncologist today: Why are we bothering with chemo if there's still a cancerous tumor? Answer: Chemo will slow the growth of the cancer and tumor.

So, all I have now is time. And hope. And faith. And prayers. And God.

Oh, I still have my Kerby! The love of my life!

No comments: