Sunday, May 6, 2007

Kerby's Home!




Saturday, May 5
Kerby's come home to recover! YEAH! He did as expected immediately after surgery, according to the surgeon, other doctors and vet techs.

I was given the post-op instructions and as for the procedure, it is quoted as "Caudal maxillectomy, rostral orbitectomy". I tried to Google it, but was presented with too many bloody pictures - so I'm still not sure what that all means. Probably something about his upper back jaw and something with his eye.

I need to keep him rested, quiet, no toys in his mouth, no hard food, no stairs, no hardwood floors to prevent slipping & falling, no rough play (sorry Daddy :-). It is normal to see him "depressed", have nose bleeds, blood from mouth, vomit (although he has not vomited!)

From what I see, Kerby's doing pretty good - I suppose. We got home Saturday afternoon. He needs to wear that "cone" to prevent from scratching his eye and stitches. My brother calls it, "Kerby's Martini glass". lol. When I notice he's attempting to scratch his eye, or whine/whimper or breathe heavily, I think it means he's in pain. That's when I give him a dose of painkillers.

The medications he's on are:
  1. Fentenyl patch on his body. Essentially morphine. Stuck on like a nicotine patch on the side of his belly. Surgery was May 2. I will remove it May 7th.
  2. Tramadol (50mg). For pain. I give 1/2 pill as needed for pain. So far, looks like he needs it every 6-9 hours.
  3. Rimadyl (25mg). For pain. I give 2x/day in his food.
  4. Clavamox. Antibiotics. 2x/day with food.

I thought, before the surgery, I could just wet down his dry kibbles but that will still be too tough for Kerby. I've been given the Hill's A/D mushy canned food. Kerby will eat anything! His appetite sure hasn't waned. He's also drinking water pretty well.

When I'm home with him, and I can literally watch his every move and be within arms length of him, I leave his "martini glass" off his head. His eye is looking great. It's not drooping and the huge red swelling is almost gone. The front part of his nose though, it looking a little more red/bloody. His nose bleeds every once in a while but it's very faint and light/pale red. This is normal.

Anyway, that's the update after his 1st day at home. I have no idea how things will pan out when I need to go back to work. It may remind me of those parents who drop their kids off at the 1st day of kindergarten .... not wanting to let go, afraid of what's going to happen, feeling like you're abandoning your baby ..... I'm sure it'll be fine .... both Kerby and me.

No comments: