Saturday, May 5, 2007

They saved Kerby's eye!!!

Wednesday, May 2nd
I was a nervous wreck,waiting for 2 hours for the call from the surgeon. Being fairly impatient and persistent, I called to check in and got the surgeon on the phone.

"We are just finishing up with the surgery and Kerby is doing fine. We were able to save his eye!!!!" YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I screamed for all my colleagues to hear and they all cheered & applauded with me. Dr. Duval said she spoke with her friend who performs this surgery almost every day at Colorado State U who said that Kerby's eye probably didn't need to come out! HUH???????? Does this mean if I didn't press and ask questions and let the surgeon KNOW what a research hound I was and how I was speaking with almost every surgeon & oncologist in the country, she maybe wouldn't have asked her friend? Water under the bridge by now, however a lesson for everyone: research, ask questions, then more questions. Don't take the 1st diagnosis & recommended procedure as is.

I wasn't permitted to see Kerby on the day of his surgery. They want him to remain sedated and calm. Understood! He was doing well and they kept his eye! I was a very happy momma.

Another lesson: have faith, pray and ask others around you to pray, trust in God that it's His plan, do not worry (it doesn't change things), and honestly believe that God will not allow you to have too much you can't handle on your plate.

I got a text message from my Dad right after I proudly announced that Kerby's eye was saved and he was doing fine. It read, "That's the best news we heard since we got the o.k. to adopt you (37 years ago). Give him a hug from me & Mom." WOW! Imagine the magnitude of that statement? Comparing the feeling of adopting your infant baby girl to hearing your daughter's dog's eye was saved!!!!! Thank you Dad - I'll never forget that comment!

No comments: