Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Doing incredible ...

Tuesday, May 29
It's been 2 weeks since Kerby's 1st chemo treatment and I am amazed at how incredible he is acting. Kerby is as active as ever .... I am even guilty for thinking he's "annoyingly" hyper, but I say that in the most loving way :-) Kerby is non-stop jumping, licking, wants to play, chasing his brother all the time. He's just an all-around happy healthy dog with bone cancer who just had his upper jaw removed!

Kerby is still eating a combo of his dry kibbles, but I wet it down and throw in a scoop of the same brand wet food. I think he can be drinking a little more water, but he's getting better. Oh, and he's gained a few of the pounds back, and is a major poopin' machine. So yeah, he's back to "normal".

We go back on June 6th for his 2nd chemo treatment which will be Adriamycin (doxorubucin). I have read from my bone cancer friends that this chemo will produce more side effects than the Carboplatin, which was his 1st chemo treatment where he had NO effects whatsoever. I can "expect" Kerby to vomit and have dry heaves in the middle of the night. At least this is what others have experienced - so I can at least be prepared, which is all I ask for! I don't like the unknown. I want to know what to expect, if possible.

So, that's the update. Kerby is incredible, happy, healthy on the outside (not sure about the inside). I don't regret any decision I have made to this date. The tumor is out of his mouth and we are currently doing OUR BEST to prevent the cancer from spreading throughout his little body. 5 more chemo treatments to go ......

Oh, and 1 more THANK YOU to all my friends, once again, on the canine bone cancer website. We read about "1st chemo jitters", doubts, sympathies and research. We are there for each other. Thank you everyone for being there with your thoughts, prayers, advice and research information.

No comments: