Thursday, May 10, 2007

One week after surgery





Thursday, May 10th
Kerby is my little miracle baby. I mean the boy just had his back upper jaw removed one week ago and he's doing absolutely freakin' FANTASTIC!! There is nothing he is not doing now that he wasn't doing before the surgery ... with the slight exception that he's eating soft food, and he hasn't pooped in a week. He still wears his "martini glass" when I'm not home; he chases his brother cat "Monkey" all around the house, he gives me kisses, jumps up & down when I come home and is still beautiful. I go to work and am out of the house for 12 hours and he is just as fine as always!

Da Kerbs is still on his meds. Twice a day he takes 3 things still: Rimadyl, Clavamox and Trimadol. Not sure how long he needs to be on all those.

Next Wednesday, the 16th, I take Kerby to get the stitches that are on the outside of his jaw taken out. I meet his surgeon, Dr. Julie Duval, for the 1st time, and we also sit down with the oncologist, Dr. Terrance Hamilton to discuss next steps.

I'm a little confused though about the results of the biospsy from his surgery. Dr. Duval told me that she "took a lot around the tumor; more than what was submitted for test results. There was 1 margin that was very close to a dirty margin." Yes, I wrote it down, but was just too tired to think of asking what that means. Does that mean they got all the cancer out??? Do we do radiation to get the rest of cancer out?? Or do we just do chemo to prevent the cancer from spreading?? Not sure. One day at a time. Don't want to overload my brain too soon :-)

Next week is when I start hearing the different kinds of chemo used in dogs. If you are a dog owner and have had experience with doggie chemo, please chime in here to let me (and others) know about the pros/cons of the different types of chemo. Thank you.

I also want to take this time to sincerely THANK my new friends on the "bone cancer for dogs" website. You are a unique "breed" (no pun) who just have so much information to share and have really helped me in a time when I feel so alone to be making such impactful decisions about the love of my life. Thank you my friends! Thank you for being there for me & Kerby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kerri, I think in a week, Kerby looks absolutely fantastic! Aren't these dogs resilient? My goodness. And what a wonderful mom you've been. I totally agree that research and doing your homework is essential whether it's our dogs or humans. Good for you. It helped Kerby immensely and in turn helps you too! Keep up the good work on your blog as it's very informative. I would have given anything to have such information when my first rottie had OS. From those of us on the BoneCancerDogs group, we send you and Kerby our love and support!